● Chief Secretary to Government of Kerala
● Secretary, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India
● Additional Secretary, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India
● Spearheaded Rajiv Gandhi Drinking Water Mission, Ministry of Sanitation, Government of India (1992-1996)
● Member Secretary, State Planning Board, Kerala for several years
● Director, Institute of Management in Government, Kerala
● Chairman, Kerala Institute for Local Administration (KILA), Kerala for 11 years for capacity building of elected representatives and KILA is rated as the number one institute in India. KILA is even recognized as an international agency for capacity building of various stakeholders related to local self governments.
● Secretary, Local Self Government Department, Government of Kerala, and expert in all matters related to Rural and Urban sectors
● Expert in decentralized planning and all related matters
● Steered Kerala’s ODF campaign (Urban/Rural)
● Pillar of the peoples plan of Government of Kerala
● Member Secretary of the Committee on Decentralisation of Powers (popularly known as SEN Committee) which laid the foundation of Kerala’s decentralization.
● Member Secretary of Third Kerala Administrative Reforms Committee headed by the then Chief Minister Shri E.K. Nayanar.
● Member of the Second State Finance Commission of Kerala headed by Dr. Prabhat Patnaik
● Member of the Fourth State Finance Commission of Kerala headed by Dr. M.A. Ummen.
● Member of the Dr. Mihirshah Committee which restructured MGNREGS Guidelines.
● Headed the Committee on RURBAN in Government of India.
● Member of the High Power Committee on Human Resources for Panchayats headed by Shri Sunit Boss which submitted its report in October 2017.
● Had an unusually long tenure in the Department of Local Self Government, and guided Kerala’s decentralization process particularly the People’s Plan Campaign for 15 years from the conceptualization up to the reasonably developed stage. This experience in structuring decentralization hands-on, is unique in the country and Kerala is rated number one in the country in devolution to local governments.
● The early field experience and later experience in Government of Kerala and Government of India enabled acquisition of deep expertise in matters related to Rural Development, Poverty Reduction, SC/ST Development and Good Governance.
● Played an important part in transforming the Kerala Institute of Local Administration into a Centre of Excellence in Decentralisation by heading its Executive Committee for 11 years.
● Mentored Kudumbashree, which is a forerunner in the country in Women’s Empowerment and Poverty Reduction, mainly through Self Help Groups. It’s partnership with local governments is a national model.
● Guided the PMRDF programme.
● At the National level the concept of Grama Panchayat Development Plan was initiated in 2015 and it has struck roots in most of the States - probably the most significant milestone in the history of Panchayati Raj after the Constitutional Amendment.
● Chief Advisor of COSTFORD, an NGO founded by Shri C. Achutha Menon, Dr. K.N. Raj, Shri Laurie Baker and others to promote appropriate technology in development especially in construction of buildings.
● Advisor, Pallium India, which is a leading NGO in palliative care.
● Advisor to the Project on Mental Health run by BANYAN, a leading NGO in this area.
● Visiting Professor, Gandhigram Rural Institute.
● Visiting Faculty, Central University, Kasaragod.
● President, Kerala Economic Association.
● Chairman, Centre for Management Development, a public institution focussing on PSUs.
● Visiting Expert Faculty in National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad.
● Assisting the District Administration of Gadag in Karnataka in preparing a model District Plan – on voluntary basis.
● Expert member of State Level Social Audit Societies in Telengana and Chattisgarh.